Monday 28 January 2013

ginger syrup and homemade lemonade

On Sunday I had a go at making my first ever homemade lemonade (sugar, lemon, water).  I added some ginger syrup to it (which I had previously made and was sitting in the fridge) which gave it a lovely zing.  Ginger syrup is so easy to make, and I have been adding it to vodka and gin to make delicious cocktails.  I keep it in the fridge and you can just add it to your drinks as you like.

Ginger Syrup:
6oz fresh ginger
2 cups water
1 cup sugar

combine water and sugar in pot and bring to a simmer.  Slice or grate ginger (no need to peel it) and add to pot, simmer for about 30-40 minutes.  It reduces down to about 3/4 cup, but I either add more water (to make more syrup) or don't let it reduce down so much.    Strain and pour into clean jars.

I made more homemade lemonade on Monday, and this time added ginger to the sugar syrup while the sugar was dissolving.  I added the lemon zest into the sugar syrup as well, because I like maximum flavour,and like to make the most of the lemon rind.


Homemade Lemonade with Ginger

1 cup sugar
1 cup water (for sugar syrup)
1/4 cup grated fresh ginger (approx - feel free to use less if this seems like a lot)
grated/peeled zest from lemons
1 1/2 cups lemon juice (approx 6 lemons)
6 cups water

Put the sugar and 1 cup water in pot, bring to a simmer.  Add lemon zest and ginger.  Allow sugar to dissolve and flavours to infuse, then strain and pour into a pitcher.  Add lemon juice and 4 cups of cold water.  Chill and serve.

If it is not sweet enough, just make a bit more simple syrup (dissolve sugar in water) and add to jug.

Just what I need on a hot summers day!  It is so refreshing, and the pitcher disappeared very quickly!

Feel free to share how you enjoy it - what drinks do you make with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment