Sunday 27 January 2013

part 2 of the ginger chronicles: tomato chutney with ginger


Being summer, with lots of fresh ripe tomatoes available, I decided to make tomato chutney.  This was to be my first foray into chutney making.  I once made a kiwifruit chutney years ago, and I enjoyed making it, but couldn't bring myself to actually eat it - I didn't trust my cooking skills enough at that stage!   But as we are surrounded by lots of fresh produce at the moment, I decided to venture forth down the chutney avenue once more.  My sister had previously given me a 'jams and preserves' book for my birthday, which has given me a bit of impetus and confidence, and I thought that I should actually use the book.  I found a lovely recipe in it that looked really easy (which is what I need, as a beginning chutney maker).   And to my delight, the recipe included ginger!  The tomato plants at home were laden with fruit not quite ripe, and a trip to Mangere Market culminated in lots of cheap, ripe, red tomatoes, so I used both green and red tomatoes.   

Tomato Chutney
1.5kg tomatoes, washed & chopped
450g apples, peeled, cored, chopped
450g red onions, chopped
1 head of celery, trimmed and chopped
1 chilli, deseeded and chopped
675g demerara sugar (I just used raw cane sugar as demerara wasn't available)
2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
150ml water
600ml malt vinegar
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
300g sultanas.

Place tomatoes, apples, onions, celery, chilli, and sugar in large pan.  Add water, cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes and apples have collapsed.

(At this point I thought it was quite liquidy and was a bit unsure about adding the full 600ml of malt
vinegar; however it reduced down and assayed my fears.)

Add both vinegars and sultanas and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 35-45 minutes, until a thick consistency is reached.
Leave to cool slightly and pour into warmed sterilised jars.  
(The recipe says cover with non-metallic lids, but I used old jam jars which had metal lids).  Store in a cool place.
The recipe made 6 jars, with a bit left over which we soon ate up.

red and green chopped tomatoes - such a colourful medley


the ginger!

lots of colour in the pot

from this...

...to this!  6 jars full of home made chutney

chuntey and cheese on toast - delicious!

apple, cheese and cutney

Chutney, cheese and apple makes a delicious combination:  halve an apple, scoop out the middle to make a 'boat', fill the cavity with tomato chutney, and top with a slice of cheese.  Mmmm!

Toasted bread, spread with chutney and topped with cheese is delicious.  
We have also found the chutney is a great accompanient for poached eggs (spread chutney on toast and top with poached eggs).

Please feel free to share what you have found goes well with tomato chutney.  Food is made to be shared :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment